|Search with Google | Wallpapers | Ringtones | Funny Video | Games | Cartoons | Mp3 music|
© Cartoon di Giovanni Sorcinelli " Gióx " (Italia)
|Donate free food
Click this button to link up TheHungersite.com and to donate free food to the hungry.
1. About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. This is down from 35,000 ten years ago, and 41,000 twenty years ago. Three-fourths of the deaths are children under the age of five.
2. Today 10% of children in developing countries die before the age of five. This is down from 28% fifty years ago.
3. Famine and wars cause just 10% of hunger deaths, although these tend to be the ones you hear about most often. The majority of hunger deaths are caused by chronic malnutrition. Families simply cannot get enough to eat. This in turn is caused by extreme poverty.
4. Besides death, chronic malnutrition also causes impaired vision, listlessness, stunted growth, and greatly increased susceptibility to disease. Severely malnourished people are unable to function at even a basic level.
5. It is estimated that some 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition, about 100 times as many as those who actually die from it each year.
6. Often it takes just a few simple resources for impoverished people to be able to grow enough food to become self-sufficient. These resources include quality seeds, appropriate tools, and access to water. Small improvements in farming techniques and food storage methods are also helpful.
7. Many hunger experts believe that ultimately the best way to reduce hunger is through education. Educated people are best able to break out of the cycle of poverty that causes hunger.
Sources (by paragraph):
1) The Hunger Project, United Nations
3) The Institute for Food and Development Policy
4) United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
5) Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
7) United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
Cartoonist and FanoFunny organizer
For contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org
|© FANOFUNNY 1996-2012 All rights reserved|